Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lost With GPS?

By Robert E. McLaughlin (KI4WKW)

As you all know, GPS has been around for quite some time now. We, as Amateur Radio Operators, should know and use these proficiently. But, I have not till now understood all there is to know about GPS, and I’m still to this day learning even more. The basic use of GPS is to give some one a precise location fix on where you are at any given time. But until a few weeks ago I was under the understanding that all GPS coordinates were the same. Boy was I wrong, and so far from the truth. GPS coordinates can be given in many different formats, and this was where I was lacking. The coordinates can be in several different types of formats, there are 4 major ones used:

Decimal Degrees (WGS84);

Degrees, Minutes & Seconds;

Basic GPS;

and UTM.

All GPS units use various different ones of these formats, whether it is Garmin, AVMap, Magellin, or DeLorme.

I still don’t know that I would be comfortable in saying that I know everything about GPS. But I have been doing some homework, I spoke to Jane Waldrop at TEMA West, and she told me they used the Degrees, Minutes & Seconds format. So with that in hand I figured that if it was what the State Agency used, then that would be the one we needed to use. So then I went to Chris Brazzell (Deputy Director J-MC EMA) and told him of my findings. Then he in turn agreed that if that was the one used by TEMA West, then that would be the one we needed to use as well. This way if we were ever needed to give a coordinate to the TEMA West office, we could give it to them in the format they use, so they would not have to waist time trying to get it converted. I feel that the time wasted there might hinder life saving time that was needed to save some ones life that may be in jeopardy.

So I feel that us as Storm Spotters, ARES Members, RACES Members, or even just concerned citizens, need to be aware of the various formats of GPS units and how to get them converted to best help some one that needs life saving help immediately. So I have taken that as an incentive to do some more home work, and come up with a site where the ordinary person can convert these GPS coordinates to the (what I feel needs to be) the State Standard Degrees, Minutes & Seconds. My findings are as follows, no matter what type of GPS unit you may own, you can go here to get it converted.

http://boulter.com/gps/

All you have to do is input your GPS’ format in the window and it will then convert and map out the coordinates right there before your eyes.

Thanks for the time and everyone’s help in this matter,

Robert E. McLaughlin (KI4WKW)